In which the grouchy old lady caves… to the pressures of needing a cool new toy to play with on her cool new phone

I really like long titles.

And I really hate admitting that I’m going back on my formerly stated principles, which I staunchly held for… no real reason.

So I am ashamed to announce, I have betwittered myself. I couldn’t help it, really, I got a new phone, and it’s just screaming for me to use twitter on it. And it makes no sense for me to be a technophile and a technophobe both. Also, because I still refuse to use my facebook account, for an actual reason.

But I have no friggin clue how to use the thing. I mean, what am I supposed to say and how are other people supposed to know it’s me who said it?

Anyway, I’m off to see what all the hullaballoo is about. You can find me at www.twitter.com/Rhiily (pronounce it like “really” the pun makes me laugh).

[Edit: I’m totally shocked – three people are already following me. How does this work?]

• Chimpeh August 25, 2010, 1:53 pm

Twitter only has a few good uses:
    #1 Narcissists
    #2 Celebrities that have crazy fans
    #3 Crazy fans that want to know what their celebrities are doing
    #4 Getting your site indexed by google
    I personally use #4 and I can recommend it for anybody that's getting a new site out ;)

• Rades August 25, 2010, 2:08 pm

You are so very wrong. I felt the same way about Twitter before I joined the WoW blog twitter group. It certainly does function for the reasons you mention, but it's also a great way for a group of people (in this case WoW bloggers) to basically all be in a giant chat room and have discussions about whatever. It's nice for just talking, but it's also really great when you need a fast, trustworthy (assuming you trust the people you follow) opinion on something, as well as a great way to get multiple opinions on something.

It is also a really nice way to discover WoW bloggers, as people mention / reference links or people you hadn't heard of.
      My recent post A Friend Avenged

• Rhii August 25, 2010, 2:58 pm

As long as it doesn't become a bludgeoning tool of guilt the way facebook was among some of my friends. I'm all for communication, even short frequent communication. I'm not for being thought a bad friend because I don't sit and refresh 24/7.

(not implying that about you Rades… it's just that my facebook experience has left me gunshy)

• Jen August 26, 2010, 7:20 am

You've got weird friends :P I check FB once every few days, and Twitter in the evenings if I remember, and no one seems upset…
          My recent post We are filthy

• Syl August 25, 2010, 3:05 pm

haha, a lady does never need an excuse for shinies, is what I think! I’m looking to get myself one of those new phones too atm. :D

I don’t think I will ever take up twitter though, limiting my number of words just feels….outrageously unnatural!

• Redbeard August 25, 2010, 3:27 pm

Well, since Twitter still ain't making money, you might want to get ready for Twitter ads. ;-)

My recent post Through the Looking Glass

• @_Rades August 25, 2010, 8:47 pm

I hope you realize Chimpeh that I meant you were wrong in a "it's really more than that!" than "YOU ARE SO DUMB LOL" or anything, I just meant that I honestly did feel the same way but now I really value it for having discussions. Think of it as a forum, only instead of random people you don't like it's only your friends! :D
    My recent post A Friend Avenged

• Zelmaru August 26, 2010, 9:16 am

Twitter is the first thing that I ignore when I don't have time for stuff. In general, it's a good way to ask quick questions that you don't want to devote an entire post to.
    My recent post Cataclysm Holy priesting looks difficult