Blizzard Authenticator Hands On

Well yesterday I was getting kind of antsy since I’ve seen a few people get their hands on the Blizzard Authenticator and mine had yet to arrive. I ordered it on 6/30 and its status said it has been shipped. There was also a message to contact customer support for info on the tracking number.

Well 16 minutes later, after listening to Diablo music and hearing an automated voice give me tips about character transfers, I finally got through to a Blizzard customer support representative. He actually was rather pleasant to talk to (aside from the heavy breathing in my ear). After explaining my situation and giving him some personal information identifying myself as the account holder he let me know the tracking number was nonfunctional. Even so the package should arrive on 7/15 at the latest. When asked if there was anything else he could help me with I inquired as to why the authenticator keeps selling out. Is it demand or is it not enough stock? His answer was not the standard “working as intended”. He equated the Authenticators as “Xbox 360, PS3, Furbies, and Tickle me Elmo all rolled into one on the night before Christmas” and went a step further in saying that even as a Blizzard employee he can’t seem to get his hands on one. So these things are just flying off the shelf. No word on how soon they will restock.

Well after arriving home from work last night I had a present for me waiting in the mail. I decided to shoot some video since I haven’t seen any yet. Also it shows off my sexy voice and bare feet. :)

Blizzard Authenticator Hands On from isheepthings on Vimeo.

So hooking this bad boy up to the account was unbelievably simple. Simply sign into your account
screen at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/ then click on the Blizzard Authenticator link.

Input your Serial Number found on the back of the Blizzard Authenticator

You’re done!

Now after using your login and password you will now get this popup window.

After reviewing these photos I realized the “Success” photo also said “Please keep your Authenticator with you at all times since you will need it to log into both the game and Account Management website from now on.”  WOW! I didn’t know this protected the Account Manager.  It makes sense but I hadn’t even thought about that.  So I logged out then back in again.

Input the wrong code just to see…

And clicked on the Blizzard Authenticator link once more for good measure.

So there you have it.  Pretty simple and straight forward.  Only curveball was the account management lock as well.  I was going to leave the Blizzard Authenticator at home by my computer but now I suppose I’ll carry it with me.  Any questions?

~~Edit~~

Apparently the Blizzard Authenticator is just a Blizzard themed Digipass Go 6 from www.vasco.com.   (Decided to look up the info off of the back of the Security Token).  According to the manual on the site the battery life expectancy is 7 years.

• Tuna July 12, 2008, 6:24 pm

The added security is totally worth it for less than 7 bucks. The only problem I would have is the inconvenience of having to have it at hand where ever you log in. My little sister plays on my account (she has a lvl 60 Rogue now) and if she wants to log on now, she will have to call me every time she wants to go on, and get me to give her the code as she is logging on. Same with everyone else who “borrows” my Mage from time to time to go farming.

• Aurdon July 12, 2008, 6:59 pm

Yeah I’ve been wondering how my wife will be able to log in and play her Mage. The only thing I could think of is to leave it at my computer desk at home.

Several other accounts I “borrow” from time to time to multibox will no longer be available if they get the Authenticator too. I guess that’s the price we’ll pay for the security this device gives.

• cole September 30, 2008, 1:50 pm

If you use one code once such as 354821 will that same code work 20 minutes later or will it reset to another code?

• Aurdon September 30, 2008, 3:56 pm

@cole no the codes are a one time only use…so the moment you log in, it nullify that code…thus a would be account stealer sitting right next to you in a cafe can’t even log in watching you type the code in.

now as for how soon the code resets? I’m not sure. I would wager it would reset every 30sec to 1min as you can push the button 2-3x and get the same code but wait long enough and it will change. This would make it seem the device is time-shifting based.

• Jo October 11, 2008, 6:21 am

Great review!

One question: what happens when you loose it or it brakes down? You’re screwed then?

• Aurdon October 11, 2008, 11:41 am

If you happen to lose the Authenticator or you break it or perhaps it loses battery (supposed to last 7 years) then you have to call Blizzard and have them remove it from your account before you are allowed to log into the game or your account manager again. Obviously you’ll have to jump through several hoops to properly identify yourself as the account holder before they will release your account back to you.

Aurdons last blog post..Patton Oswalt to Cohost Blizzcon 08

• Jo October 11, 2008, 12:44 pm

Thanks for your answer.

As the account is not originally mine, I should maybe not take the risk..

• Aurdon October 11, 2008, 10:39 pm

@Jo NP at all. You could call in and ask for more details on what proof of identity is needed to remove the authenticator. I’ve seen some info around some where about it but I can’t remember where.

Aurdons last blog post..Patton Oswalt to Cohost Blizzcon 08

• Dael October 29, 2008, 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting this. My buddy just got hacked and I’ve had this sitting on my desk ever since blizzcon.

• Aurdon October 29, 2008, 1:55 pm

@Dael You are most welcome. I’m a little envious you guys got a Blizzcon edition. =)

That also makes me wonder. Shipping outside the US for these is astronomical due to cover exporting of a security devise that has proprietary algorithms. Its not illegal…just US law makes it expensive to do so. And at Blizzcon they bragged about how they had sold tickets in 27 different countries or something like that. Does this mean Blizzard is simply enabling people to smuggle these out of the country? I would think these would have to be reported to customs if the ridiculous shipping is because of a silly export law.

• Haxxed Spriest March 12, 2009, 5:59 pm

that's prob why they sell different ones to outside the us.

• Haxxed Spriest March 12, 2009, 6:03 pm

I have been playing wow for about ever. I only just heard about this thing from a gm after getting my account hacked. I am willing to bet that if blizz made more of an attempt to let people know these are out there they could sell more and wouldn't need to be sold out immediately. if I had know about these I would have gotten one along time ago.

• Dan February 11, 2010, 7:40 am

the authenticator is now free for android, and also is avaliable for the iphone and such, most are free to download – they are considering making it mandatory when the next expansion comes out.
    My recent post Android World of Warcraft Blizzard Authenticator! Free

• Krys May 2, 2010, 1:00 pm

It seems strange to see so many people talking about spending 7bucks to secure their account while sharing the account with friends and family members. I'm pretty sure a large amount of 'hacking' is due to these issues. From Blizzard's point of view, these authenticators are great, since when your 'friend' uses your authenticator and steals all your gold, they don't have to deal with the fallout, since it's clearly a case of 'user error'.

I can't imagine needing more security though. I have a password for my account which I don't tell anyone and I have anti-virus on my computer, so I'm not going to be key-logged. What more would you need?